Powerful protection and productivity solution to block access to harmful and unproductive web content
Educational institutions, businesses and government agencies assume substantial risks when they provide students and employees IT-issued computers that can be used to access the Internet, even when the device is behind the firewall perimeter where organizational web use policies are enforced. This is particularly true when those connections are used to access sites containing information or images that are inappropriate, dangerous or even illegal. These sites may also be infected with malware that can be inadvertently downloaded and then used to steal confidential information.
Schools, in particular, have a responsibility to protect students from inappropriate and harmful web content. In addition, to receive eRate funding, both schools and libraries are required by law to install a content filtering solution in compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA). For businesses and government agencies, providing employees with uncontrolled web access can result in non-productive web surfing, creating tremendous losses in productivity, not to mention the potential for legal liability.
Dell™ SonicWALL™ Content Filtering Service (CFS) running on Dell SonicWALL Unified Threat Management and next-generation firewalls is a powerful protection and productivity solution that delivers unequalled content filtering enforcement for educational institutions, businesses, libraries and government agencies. Using Dell SonicWALL CFS, organizations have control over the web sites students and employees can access using their IT-issued computer behind the firewall. Dell SonicWALL CFS compares requested web sites against a massive database in the cloud containing millions of rated URLs, IP addresses and web sites. CFS provides administrators with the tools to create and apply policies that allow or deny access to sites based on individual or group identity, or by time of day, for over 56 pre-defined categories. CFS also dynamically caches web site ratings locally on the Dell SonicWALL firewall for near-instantaneous response times.
For laptops that are used outside the firewall perimeter, the Dell SonicWALL Content Filtering Client addresses safety, security and productivity concerns by extending the controls to block harmful and unproductive web content. The client is automatically deployed and provisioned through a Dell SonicWALL firewall. In addition to providing IT administrators the tools to control web-based access for roaming devices, the Content Filtering Client can be configured to automatically switch enforcement to the internal policy once the device reconnects to the network firewall. The client is managed and monitored using a powerful policy and reporting engine in the cloud that is accessed seamlessly from the firewall interface. In the event an outdated client attempts to connect to the internal network to access the Internet, the connection is denied and the user receives a message with steps for remediation.
- Best in-class protection
- Granular content filtering controls
- Dynamically updated rating architecture
- Application traffic analytics
- Easy-to-use web-based management
- High-performance web caching and rating architecture
- IP-based HTTPS content filtering
- Scalable, cost-effective solution
- Content Filtering Client for roaming devices
Features & Benefits:
- Granular content filtering allows the administrator to block or apply bandwidth management to all predefined categories or any combination of categories. Administrators can apply User Level Authentication (ULA) and Single Sign-On (SSO) to enforce username and password logon. CFS can block potentially harmful content such as Java™, ActiveX®, and Cookies, as well as schedule filtering by time of day, such as during school or business hours. CFS also enhances performance by filtering out IM, MP3s, streaming media, freeware and other files that drain bandwidth.
- Dynamically updated rating architecture cross-references all requested web sites against a highly accurate database categorizing millions of URLs, IP addresses and domains. The Dell SonicWALL firewall receives ratings in real time, and then compares each rating to the local policy setting. The appliance will then either allow or deny the request based on the administrator’s locally configured policy.
- Application traffic analytics suite includes Dell SonicWALL Global Management System (GMS®), Dell SonicWALL Analyzer and Dell SonicWALL Scrutinizer, each of which provides real-time and historic analysis of data transmitted through the firewall, including web sites blocked and visited by user.
- Easy-to-use web-based management enables flexible policy configuration and complete control over Internet usage. Administrators can enforce multiple custom policies for individual users, groups or specific category types. Local URL filtering controls can allow or deny specific domains or hosts. To block objectionable and unproductive material more effectively, administrators can also create or customize filtering lists.
- High-performance web caching and rating architecture allows administrators to block sites easily and automatically by category. URL ratings are cached locally on the Dell SonicWALL firewall, so that response time for subsequent access of frequently visited sites is only a fraction of a second.
- IP-based HTTPS content filtering allows administrators to control user access to web sites over encrypted HTTPS. HTTPS filtering is based on the categorical rating of web sites containing information or images that are objectionable or unproductive such as violence, hate, online banking, shopping and others.
- Scalable, cost-effective solution controls content filtering from the Dell SonicWALL firewall, eliminating the need for additional hardware or deployment expenditures on a separate dedicated filtering server.
- Content Filtering Client for roaming devices extends enforcement of internal web use policies to block objectionable and unproductive Internet content for devices located outside the firewall perimeter. The client enforces security and productivity policies whenever the device connects to the Internet regardless of where the connection is established.
Dell SonicWALL Content Filtering Service Architecture
Deployed and managed through a Dell SonicWALL firewall, Dell SonicWALL Content Filtering Service enables IT administrators to create and enforce Internet use policies that block IT-issued endpoint devices located behind the firewall from accessing inappropriate and unproductive web sites over a LAN, wireless LAN or VPN. For roaming devices located outside the firewall perimeter, Dell SonicWALL Content Filtering Client extends security and productivity policies whenever the device connects to the Internet regardless of where the connection is established. Deployment is simplified using the enforcement capability of a Dell SonicWALL firewall and the client is managed and monitored using a powerful policy and reporting engine. Using Dell SonicWALL Analyzer or Dell SonicWALL Global Management System (GMS), IT administrators can create real-time and historical reports on web usage.
|Features||CFS Premium||CF Client|
|Reporting||Analyzer* and GMS*||Yes|
|Web site caching||Yes||Yes|
|Safe Search Enforcement||Yes||Yes|
|CFS Policy Enforcement per IP Range||Yes||Yes|
|Available on:||TZ Series, NSA Series, E-Class NSA Series, SuperMassive 9000 and E10000 Series||Endpoint devices running Windows or Mac OS. Deployed through a Dell SonicWALL firewall.|
|YouTube for Schools||Yes||Yes|
|HTTPS Content Filtering||Yes||Yes|
|Filter by Schedule||Yes||No|
|Content Filtering Database||Dynamically updated base containing over 20 millions URLs, IPs and domains|
|Supported Firmware Versions/Operating Systems||SonicOS 5.x and later||Firewall-SonicOS 18.104.22.168 and later; Laptop-Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2 and above)/XP/7/8/ Windows Server 3/Server 8/Server 12, Mac OS 10.6 and later|